It’s that time of year again, time for buying and giving and spreading holiday cheer. Let’s make one. We want to share some quick tips for making the most of your shopping experience.
Staying Safe While Shopping
Whether you’re shopping in stores or online, we want you to be safe out there. Here are some basic safety tips every shopper should follow:
In a Store
1. Always shop with a friend or companion. It’s safer and just more fun.
2. Have your cell phone fully charged in case of emergencies.
3. Never leave presents or other valuables sitting in a car where someone walking past could see them.
4. Don’t carry large amounts of cash on your shopping trip. A credit or debit card is a much safer way to buy. If you do carry cash, do not keep it all in one place. Do not pull large amounts out at one time.
1. Only shop with reputable companies that you would visit in person or that have been recommended by someone you trust.
2. If you check your bank statements and credit card information online, never use the same password for another site.
3. Only shop with a credit card or gift card. Never wire money or send cash.
Saving Money To Buy More
Just because you’re buying for others doesn’t mean we don’t take advantage of senior discounts. No matter who you are shopping for, you can find stores that offer discounts. If you have a set budget for shopping this year, then saving 10-15% at some great stores means you can get more presents.
Here are just a few of the stores in our area who offer senior discounts:
What they sell: Arts & Crafts, Knitting, Frames, Hobby
What you get: 10% off every day for AARP members
2. Toys R US/Babies R Us
What they sell: Toys, Games, Baby Supplies
What you get: Monday – Thursday get $5 off a $25 Purchase with your AARP card
What they sell: Department Store
What you get: 15% off on Wednesdays for 60+
What they sell: Discount clothing and home goods
What you get: 10% off on Tuesdays for 55+
This list is not all inclusive, so we recommend that you ask where ever you go to get the best holiday deals.
Enjoying the Experience
Buying gifts for those we love should be fun. Here are some tips for simply enjoying the experience.
1. Start early so you don’t feel rushed. This applies to starting early in the season and in the day. It is much less crowded and easier to browse for the best presents.
2. Make several trips so you are not trying to figure out how to get everything home at once.
3. Do something for yourself. Stop for tea or coffee with a friend; get a manicure. Break up your day with casual, relaxing activities that make for an enjoyable day.
Our friendly staff at Lake Park Retirement Community wish you the best holiday shopping experience around. If you would like any information on our senior living community, please do not hesitate to contact us.